Tuesday, October 28, 2008

DIY Plumbing

Owning a older home has proved to be a challenge for Christine and me. Remodeling bathrooms and kitchens, taking down dead trees, replacing wiring and plumbing . The list goes on and on. There is always something to do.

A couple of weeks ago we had a hot water pipe start leaking in the basement. I went by the hardware store, bought the supplies, and replaced the leaking section of pipe. No problem for a man of my talent!

Today we had another leak in the same pipe (not the section I fixed). I decided to replace a longer section of pipe, from the basement to the crawl space, with the new Pex pipe. The couplings for Pex pipe are are a little expensive but its great to work with-- no glue.

I did all my work in the basement section and the project was going well. Now to the crawl space. I was feeling pretty proud about my 'gift of plumbing' as I started replacing the rest of old pipe in the crawl space. With the first cut of the old pipe water started spewing everywhere! I let the water run for a minute or so, until I was soaked, because how could a man of my plumbing talent cut the wrong pipe, but I did!

Put this down in your book of things you might want to remember. It doesn't matter that you turn the hot water off, if you cut the cold water pipe!

I don't know what is worse, making a mistake like that or having you wife and daughter-in law find out about it!

Where is 'Joe the Plumber' when you need him?

No comments: