Saturday, December 12, 2009

181

In the 80's I use to run with a group of friends to stay in shape and keep my weight down. Our road trips to races were great times of fellowship, bonding, and good meals on the drive home. We still talk about our 'running days' when we get together.

I thought that running would keep me from gaining weight, but it didn't. (It might have, if I'd had changed my eating habits.)
I had one friend as concerned as me about his weight problem. He and I stopped by Walmart one day and decided to weigh ourselves on the scales at the entrance. I weighed 181, I had never weighed that much before. I was shocked! My friend said nothing, I thought he was being compassionate. I tried to forget '181' .

A day or so later he and I were running with another friend and were having a good conversation, (by the way, they say if you can talk while you run, you are running too slow). Then out of the blue my 'friend' said, "I wish I could get down to 181! " They had been discussing my experience at Walmart earlier and good laugh at my expense, and to this day they still laugh about '181!'

Over the years '181' has come and gone and now I'm now trying to get back down to '181'.
Thursday my secretary's little son, Davis, came to the office around lunch carrying a pack of french fries from McDonalds. He's a very sweet little boy, and thought that Mr. Robbie would like a french fry. When started to hand me one , his lovely mother said " Davis, can you say 181?"
I'm not mad, she's not the only one in the office to remind me of '181'. Maybe I share too much.
I guess I do need all the 'encouragement' I can get.

Will '181' ever come again?
I'll let you all know.
I might even write a letter to Walmart.

No comments: