Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm Full

We bought an older house 15 years ago that is on 1.7 acres of land with a lot of natural space in the back and on the sides. We loved the space and location and were aware when we bought it that we would have the wonderful opportunity to 'fix it up'. Fifteen years later it is even older and we are still haven't got it 'fixed up'! Bathrooms, carpet, kitchen, painting, porches, basement, windows, plumbing, driveway, and the yard! Some of these have been completed, or started, but most haven't. I don't think we will ever get through.

Today at lunch I was listening to our new Rescue Minister, Jim Russell, talking about downsizing, and it made me start thinking. Is all the work worth the space and location ?

Well I think my answer to that is YES. It is worth it. For you see, I have a basement to store all of my children's and grandchildren's stuff. When children move out they don't take everything! This gives them a reason to come see us.

My large yard is a great place for friends to store their cars, trucks, boats, and camping trailers, which their neighborhoods won't allow. This makes me a very popular and valuable friend.

My sister even gave us an old playhouse, that I had to haul up here from Lexington, SC. It was headed for the dump when she found it. It's for my grandchildren, but it's still in our yard.


My yard and house have kind of a 'Goodwill' or 'Miracle Hill' feel.

It is fun being a blessing, but if you have something to store, don't call me. I'm full!

No comments: