Monday, September 8, 2008

Who is Old?

I am glad that I am not old. I turn 57 on the 12th and know a lot of men older than me who are still active. Let me tell you about my best friend growing up, Rusty Wright. He drove a 55 Chevy and I drove a 56. We had plans to drive to California when we finished high school school but it never happened. We got separated when we started college, I went one way and he went the other. We both got married after college and started our careers. I renewed my friendship with Rusty this past week and found that he had become a lawyer a few months ago. Starting to practice law at 57! I confess, he was always the smarter and most athletic one. Now I see he is the most adventurous one also. He makes me realize that you are as old as you want to be.

Just because we have to start getting physicals and preventive medical procedures doesn't mean we are old. Even getting up and going to the bathroom a couple times a night doesn't mean we're old. Not being able to read without our our 'helper glasses' doesn't mean we are old. Enjoying ACTIVIA on a regular basis does not mean we're old.

We can't start believing what young people say about us. Of course we are older that those little snips, but we are not old! I wonder what those youngsters said when my friend Rusty walked into class? Being young doesn't make you smarter or stronger. Let's not give in to those who don't have as much wisdom or experience as us.

Way to Rusty! I am proud of you.

I've got to close now, it's 9:30 and time for bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! (Laughing Out Loud)- yes, literally- I was laughing like crazy at the end of this blog.
That was great build-up and perfect delivery at the end. :-) (i.e. it was just funny the way you brought up your bedtime at the end.)
But I agree- you're certainly not old. It's hard to think of my parents being about that age- I don't think of them as being any much older since they were in their 40s or so, I guess. I suppose I don't think of myself as being that much older than when I was a teenager or child either, for that matter.
Age is just a number- My great-grandmother was both the oldest and youngest person I knew- and she lived to be 96! :-) The Bible says something interesting about aging- Proverbs 16:31. Every day is a good gift from God- I think we should enjoy each one to the fullest. Psalms 90:12
By the way, Happy Birthday! May you have the raddest, most excellent, totally awesome, gnarly, bodacious day ever! And "may the good Lord be with you down every road you run...and in my heart you will remain- forever young." ;-)