Monday, May 19, 2008

A Good Day

Saturday was a good day. I started the day at The Waffle House , just me , the sports page, and greasy food. Went to pick up blades for my lawn mower and came home and put them on. Then I worked on my chain saw. It has been broken for a few months now, but I got it back together and working. I got my fishing tackle ready for a trip to Lake Robinson and sprayed 'Roundup' on my weeds.

I went inside to put my fishing clothes on and my lovely wife mentioned, "The Upstate Shakespeare Festival's first production of the season is tonight. Do you want go tonight or next weekend" ? The wind was blowing a little strong for my little boat, so I said I guess we could get it over with tonight. She packed a picnic and off we went.

You have to get to Falls Park Ampitheather about an hour early to get on the front row. It is good for me to get on the front row. I need to see the play because I can't understand the words. I have been listening to and about Shakespeare since Amanda got this acting bug. She and Christy have thick Shakespeare books that tell about each play and books with his complete plays.

Most of Shakespeare's plays have someone fighting, dying, someone lost at sea, two siblings separated at birth (or separated at sea) a girl acting like a boy only to find that her true love died (at sea) trying to find her. It confusing!

It is more confusing to have the actors play multiple roles. The King could be a pirate just minutes later.

I knew I was in trouble this time because before I got to eat my fried chicken and potato salad, Christy gave me a Shakespeare for dummies book and said "Here, you need to read this before it starts". The synopsis was confusing!

I made it through the play and even gave them a dollar afterwards (I figured the fight was worth that).

I could have been on the lake or laying on the couch watching the Braves but I would have missed the fried chicken , fight scene, and sharing in something my wife loves to do, and that makes it a good day.

No comments: